Exploring the Best of Oberbilk, Düsseldorf
Oberbilk is not just home to the Hauptbahnhof, and if you’ve taken the time to explore the area, you’ll certainly know what we mean. Oberbilk has some unique hot spots, hidden gems, delicious food and awesome architectural spaces.
So, we had a little chat with Patrick, a local in Oberbilk, to get his insight as to what really was the Best of Oberbilk. Here you go!
The Best Food Spots in Oberbilk
- Pizzeria La Duck: Do you know that feeling when you want a greasy, delicious, unhealthy pizza? Well La Duck is your place to go. I order Pizza Hawaii with “scharf und knoblauch” and my wife has her personal favorite. Even though we eat there once a week, they can never remember us.
- Chi Bay: Quality Vietnamese restaurant. They deliver but my experience is always better eating at the restaurant.
- Kassette: Hipster-esque cafe serving a wide range of non alcoholic and alcoholic beverages. Come during the day and play board games, or in the summer time and enjoy a refreshing drink in the shade of the trees. They also show Bundesliga, Champions League and Europa League.
- Via Appia: Next door to the Kassette, a classical Italian Restaurant. This is the most expensive option on my list, but it is worth it. I ate here the first night I moved into my flat, and it is a common place for us to eat when family come to visit. Try to make a reservation for outside seating! Oh, they also deliver pizzas to the Kassette!
- dreiRaum Bistro: This is the breakfast spot in the neighborhood. Also good for a coffee or tea!
- Sannin: This restaurant falls just outside of Oberbilk, but as it’s one of my favorite restaurants in Düsseldorf, I am including it. Wonderful and friendly service, delicious food, and affordable Lebanese restaurant. We normally share one entrée and order a bunch of the appetizers.
Best sights to see in Oberbilk?
- Kölner Straße at Oberbilker Markt: Very diverse street full of shops and restaurants. Quiet international.
- The Hippy Kiosk: This is the name I gave to this particular kiosk. Really friendly vibes and a very unique kiosk of Düsseldorf. They sell products not found at any other kiosk. You can find it at the corner of Linienstraße and Flügelstraße – near The Kassette.
- Zeitfeld: A bunch of clocks in Volksgarten.
- Streichelzoo am Südpark: A petting zoo in the center of Volksgarten. They have pigs, sheep, goats, and bees.
The Coolest Shops in Oberbilk
- Ökologische Marktwirtschaft GmbH: This is a small organic market that sells a lot of regional demeter/bio grade products. I recommend trying the ‘Schwarzbrot’ they sell.
- BrauArt/Britische Biere: Right next to one of the entrances to the Volksgarten is a British and Craft Beer store. Perfect!
- GRUPI Tauchtechnik: This is my favorite shop for all of my scuba diving needs!
- MonDieu!: A funky furniture and crafts store near the Oberbilker Markt U-Bahn station.
- Slowboy: A record shop where they put music onto old records.
Entertainment in Oberbilk
- Mitsubishi Electric Halle: Concert Hall. I’ve never been but maybe a show fits your interests?
- K-13: If you are into art, then I recommend checking this out.
- Hookah Lounges: If you like smoking hookah, there are tons of hookah lounges around.
The Best “Nature Spots” in Oberbilk
- Volksgarten: One of my favorite places in Düsseldorf. A great place for walking, having a BBQ, running, biking, meeting friends or just laying in the sun.
- In the center of the park is a Bio-Bauernhof, with the chance to buy freshly made bread or products grown at the farm. This is one of the top nature spots in all of Düsseldorf.
- On the west side of the park in the ‘Schräbergärten’ and on the east side you will find a Japanese style garden. And throughout the park you will find hidden cafe’s, and not so hidden swans, geese, and ducks!
Don’t forget to include your tips in the comments section below. Do you have any questions about living #LifeInDüsseldorf? Feel free to send us an email with your questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have tips you’d like to share with others, we’re also accepting guest posts which include the author’s name, bio and photo.