Opening the Doors to Hidden Gems in Düsseldorf
So you’ve already explored your way through the “top 10 things to do in Düsseldorf” and are ready for something unique and out-of-the-box cool… preferably in English.
Photo (above): Düsseldorf Festival Caroline West in conversation with Amp Fidler
There’s a group for that. Let me introduce you to RhineBuzz and Caroline West, an event planning guru and a group with open arms so wide you’ll never get tired of what’s coming next.
There’s plenty of groups online via Facebook and meetup.com that can direct you to finding the best hiking group, girls jogging group and pick-up soccer (football/füßball). However, you’re not going to find those hidden gems of Düsseldorf like you did back home. RhineBuzz is about getting you involved in more than just jogging, hiking and soccer. Rhine Buzz is the link between the international community and awesome cultural institutions within the city, those hidden gems in Düsseldorf.
Looking for a little inspiration?
You’ll find RhineBuzz hosting anything and everything in between the opera, ballet, concerts, parties, museum tours, yoga, wine tastings, art workshops, sports, movies, dinners and discounted entrance tickets around the city. They often do meet and greets with artists (like the photo above – Amp is an excellent artist who has played with all the big names).
Here are just a few of the past events that were a huge success within the community:
- David Bowie’s Piano Man – this was an evening with Clifford Slapper, pianist and biographer of Mike Garson – Bowie’s Piano Man. The attendance was excellent and the music was phenomenal.
- VIP Experience @ DEG Ice Hockey – Box seats, hockey, gourmet buffet and all-you-can drink wine & beer, there’s no doubt the experience was one we’ll never forget.
- Painting Party with Painter Eva Lonsdorf – This was literally a painting party where everyone joined in for some painting fun and a lesson from established painter Eva Lonsdorf.
If you’re looking for something that is coming up next, watch out for more information coming on the RhineBuzz Facebook page for the visit on May 7, 2016 to Krypta with Emil Schult.
New to Düsseldorf?
There’s certainly no doubt that it’s not easy to jump into the swing of things in a brand new city. Unless you’re buzzing with passion and excitment ready to run out that door and make friends, it’s not the simplest of tasks.
Moving to Düsseldorf for me was like re-living my first day in Kindergarten. You know no one, everyone looks at you funny and your self confidence is nowhere to be found.
If only there was a Stammtisch for everytime I found myself stuck in a situation like this.
A RhineBuzz Stammtisch is when international community members come together in a relaxed setting to learn a little more about getting adjusted to Düsseldorf. Various speakers and music artists stop by for small presentations and shows just for the international community.
Events are typically held every month and can really be about anything and everything. These are the best ways to integrate yourself into the city. Here’s just a few examples of the last Stammtisch meetups:
- “Figuring out what to do when…” – hosts of the Stammtisch went through every detail you need to know about “what to do when…” you’re locked out of your apartment, you need a pharmacy and they’re all closed, you want to hire a bike, order a birthday cake, etc.
- Paving Your Professional Way Through Germany – this was an event all about intercultural differences and the working life in Germany.
- Reconsidering Your Working Life in Germany – it’s not easy finding jobs, especially when your German isn’t nearly acceptable for the office world. This Stammtisch was all about bridging that gap.
Do you have any questions about living #LifeInDüsseldorf? Feel free to send us an email with your questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have tips you’d like to share with others, we’re also accepting guest posts which include the author’s name, bio and photo.